CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Get 'em while they're HOT

"COLD" (top picture) "HOT" (second picture)



A little while ago, we were given the opportunity to interview Queen Qustom from the UK. Queen has customed designed kicks for artists like Jay-Z and Memphis Bleek. This award winning custom designer is definitely on the come up. Here is part 1 of her interview--

Queen, what are your biggest achievements to date?The best moment for me so far was winning the award for Best Customizing Designer at the UK Urban Fashion Awards in 2007. I really didnt expect to win. I know everyone says that but I was still new in the game; the only sneaker customizer to enter and up against the favorites - last years winners. But, I won, I had a great time and it opened alot of doors for me. Another of my favorite moments was designing for Jay-Z recently when he was in the UK. I got the go ahead from the tour manager and had a busy few days putting together some kicks for Jay-Z and Memphis Bleek. Didn't get to meet Jay but met up with Bleek and he loved the kicks. I was invited to go to the next tour date, got on the guestlist for the concert and met with Bleek again to give him another pair. He said Jay-Z liked the kicks I did for him, and to tell me he thinks I'm talented. I want that in writing [Laughs].

How many pairs of sneakers and shoes do you own? Which is your most prized pair and why?
Personally, I have about 35 pairs, and I have a room full of customized sneakers which are not my size but I just cant bare to part with. My most prized pair is my 'practice' kicks. I used to try techniques out on them before laying them down on a fresh pair. They are a complete mess with little sections of different designs and so many different colors.

Is there a special story behind you creating the heat sensitive kicks?I had an idea in the back of my mind to get hold of one of the heat sensitive tees you used to get back in the 90's and use it to customize a pair of dunks. I was having a nightmare trying to find a new unworn tee so my research began in to the technology behind it and my heat sensitive paints were born!

To continue this conversation along the line of your heat sensitive sneakers, please talk about the "hunter v hunted high af1 heat sensitive"-

What inspired it? Getting onto the Sneakerpimps tour.
The "Hunter V Hunted" design was originally done on a pair of court forces, and redesigned for sneakerpimps on a high AF1 at 'cold' temperature. The sneakers have a tiger print design...but when exposed to heat such as hot weather, a hairdryer, warm hands, the orange changes to white - giving it a zebra print. I am so excited about the heat sensitive range - its amazing to be wearing one pair of sneakers when you are in an air conditioned room, then you step outside in the heat and they change to have a completely different appearance. This is something that is currently exclusive to Qustom Queen - you cant purchase heat sensitive custom kicks anywhere else.

....THERE's MORE...later on we will hear from about how her custom kicks actually got on the sneaker pimps tour and the story and motivation behind 3 of her custom kicks... and her infamous 'Sneaketto' heels.

If you'd like to see more of her work please visit her myspace: http://www.myspace.com/qustomqueen
Like what you see and want to order: Contact qustomqueen@yahoo.co.uk for more information

2 comments:

some_girl said...

Commissioned a pair of Qustom Converse so know what I'm saying when I say this girl is HOTT!! Looking forward to seeing more of the heat sensitive stuff and the rest of the interview!

MahaibaLuv said...

this is tuffff