CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 2, 2009

Custom Sneaker Queen Interview part 2


(Scorpion Forces...new from Qustom Queen)

Here is Part 2 of a three part talk with Qustom Queen...we love her ish...what can we say?! Missed Part 1 click Qustom Queen 1 to read it.

Let's talk about you getting into the Sneakerpimps tour. This was a special experience for you from beginning to end. Can you tell us about it?

I had contacted Sneakerpimps a few years back to ask if they were planning on coming to the UK at any point, and my message was passed on to Pete Fahey (founder of Sneakerpimps) who had a look at my myspace and asked if I would create something for the tour. I was over the moon, at that point I didnt even consider having my work on the tour so it was amazing to be approached like that instead of asking them. I now have 3 pairs on the tour. I've still never been to a Sneakerpimps show! I'm trying to get to NY in October for Sneakerpimps this year though. Its going to be big.

We'll mention three of our favorite sneakers -- you can tell us the back story behind its creation:

THE WRITINGS ON THE WALL

These were designed as part of the UUFA collection. I think they took about 12 hours in total to complete. I designed these to represent the time when I first discovered that word of my work was spreading online, and the anonymity of the internet gives people courage to say whats really on their minds - just like if you were writing something on a wall and no one was looking.

Big Cities & Bright Lights

There are two cities under this theme - New York and London. Very similar places actually. I had been wanting to try out a glow in the dark theme and thought a city skyline was perfect and reminded me of my first trip to NY in 2006 on the ride from the airport all you see is this massive block of light against the dark.

Worship the Ground She Walks on


I cant lie, these were a tribute, well, a diss, to my ex! The lips to represent affection, attention and passion, and the pavement effect to represent that if your lady doesnt get what she deserves, she's going to walk away. One of my favourite pairs. Alot of people have picked the inspiration up wrong as being 'kiss my feet because I am a Queen'

Speaking of 'Worship the Ground She Walks on,' your page, your descriptions, and statements on your myspace page show a bit of confidence that the level of quality and creativity of your designs are unparalleled. Are we right? Is this why you have the name 'Qustom Queen'?

Qustom Queen is confident, she is my alter ego. It took a long time to come - I still dont see what everyone else sees sometimes but I have developed a confidence in the past few years which I think shows in my work. I'm not saying that they are unparalleled at all - there are many that I look up to and awe at designs that other artists produce - mostly Mache (he's cute too) Emanuelabor, Mizzee and C2. There are things I can do that others cant, but at the same time, there are things others can do that I cant (yet..)

My favorite customs other than my heat sensitive kicks are my 'paradise' designs which I have done on all kinds of bases - but the best pair I did were done on a dunk hi - you look at them and it actually relaxes you.


More to come from Qustom Queen. Check out her myspace if you love her kicks.

If you are a talented custome sneaker designer let us know.
Email: sean@encorestatus.com

0 comments: